About Lund - Sunshine Coast, British ColumbiaLund is a quiet village about 17 miles north of Powell River, and the physical ending (or, as argued by locals, the "starting") point of Highway 101, which stretches all the way to Chile, South America.
The Historic Lund Hotel symbolizes the heart of Lund, and to marine traffic it is the symbolic gateway to beautiful Desolation Sound Marine Park.
The area that is now Lund has been known to the Coast Salish peoples for thousands of years was a village site of the Sliammon people. The village of Klah ah men was home to dozens of families and a desirable location as it was accessible by land and sea so approaching visitors could be detected from afar. Further, both I hohs (Savary Island) and Tohk natch (Okeover Inlet), plentiful in shellfish, salmon and land mammals, were only short paddles away. Fresh water was ample as were Cedar trees, the main material source in the production of tools, shelter, clothing and more. Ceremonies, both spiritual and social in nature, were held at Klah ah men, and included dance, song, and recreational games that were a major part of Coast Salish culture.
On July 2, 1792 two surveying crews from Captain George Vancouver’s ships ‘Chatham’ and ‘Discovery’ came in contact with the Sliammon Nation for the first time. By 1876 the Canadian government had instituted the Federal Indian Act, which established a system of reservations to which Coast Salish peoples were relocated. Into the 1900’s these lands were surveyed and sold, while aboriginal peoples, who were not entitled to purchase their traditional lands or enjoy the free land grants offered by the Government to immigrating settlers, were relocated to reservations.
In 1889, Fred & Charlie Thulin arrived from Sweden, looking for a better life in the new "land of opportunity". The brothers first set eyes upon the area that would later become Lund while sailing by on the side-wheeler tugboat Mermaid on their way to find employment logging in Pendrell Sound. Shortly thereafter Fred and Charlie settled in the area they named Lund, after the University town of the same name in their native Sweden, immediately building a wharf, logging the bay, piping in water and converting suitable land on the settlement to farm land.
In 1892, a post office was established, one of only two north of Vancouver at the time. A general store was constructed and shortly thereafter the first passenger and mail boat began making regular stops at Lund, tying it to the world. By 1895, the brothers had built Lund’s first hotel (photo), which held both the first hotel license and the first liquor license to be issued north of Vancouver. A bottle of the best scotch was available for $1.50 and the basement of the hotel housed a jail cell, primarily used to “accommodate” any drunken rowdies patronizing the hotel. By 1905 the Thulins had purchased the first donkey engine seen up the coast, built their first steamboat, "City of Lund", and expanded their chain of stores to Sliammon Village and to where present day Townsite is. As coastal traffic continued to increase, in 1905 the Thulins began construction of a second hotel, The Malaspina, which in 1918 was renamed the Lund Hotel after the original building was destroyed by fire.
In recent years the Lund Hotel became sadly neglected, finally closing its doors in 1998. However, in November 1999 the Sliammon First Nation and businessman David Formosa purchased the property and commenced extensive renovations, reopening the doors in the spring of 2000. Almost every year since, the hotel has undergone further renovation and expansion projects including the addition of a wing of superior boutique style units, ongoing exterior improvements, and more. Currently the hotel has 31 well-appointed guest rooms, oceanfront pub and restaurant with un-obscured ocean views as well as spectacular menus, and many shops and amenities. During the warmer months, guests may dine on the spacious waterfront decks, savouring the ocean breeze and the bustling activity of Lund Harbour. Historic photos grace the walls of the entire hotel, telling the story of the Hotel and Lund as only those immortalized by the camera could truly tell it.
Lund AreaThe Lund Hotel, situated at what is very accurately known as the “Gateway to Desolation Sound”, looks upon one of the most spectacular nature destinations in British Columbia. From the sandy shores of Savary Island to the rugged beauty of Bute Inlet you will find scenery unsurpassed in bio diversity and beauty.
Desolation Sound Marine Park, renowned by boaters across the continent, is the oldest and largest provincial marine park in BC.
Within kayaking distance of the Hotel is the Copeland Islands marine park, a cluster of scenic islands with protected waters that are as favored by marine and wildlife as they are by kayakers.